The security guard and protection services industry is on the rise in America according to facts by the U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics. This, therefore, means there is great demand for security guards from companies like Nationwide Investigations & Security, Inc. in Houston, TX. A security guard is one who is paid to protect facilities, institutions, malls, airport, banks, etc. and they’re mostly employed by private companies.
Some of the roles of security guards are…
- Protecting lives
- Safeguarding materials in a building by not allowing unauthorized people from accessing them
- They are first in line of defense against criminals before the police arrive
- Identify and prevent dangerous situations
- Assisting police enforcement by communicating and sharing necessary information with them
- Helping people during emergency situations, e.g., during a fire break out, robbery
- Assist in transporting money safely into a bank.
Job description/ types of security guards
The job of the security guards differs according to their responsibilities. Some require the guards to be stationary at the entrance of building while others require the officers to patrol the building
Security guards can be divided into two
- Armed security guard. This is trained officers who carry with them weapons and can use them if necessary.
- Unarmed security guard. They are uniformed officers who use no weapon. Their job may include checking people entering a building or at the airport.
For one to be a security guard, you must have a license. However, requirements for licensing vary from state to state. Most states need a high school diploma or GED for security guard licensing. States like Texas require one to be over 18, passed both a thorough background check and drug screening conducted by the state’s Department of Justice and the FBI and undergone a thirty-hour course training from the certified training center.
States like California and Illinois you need a guard card issued by the state, which verifies that you have passed fingerprint scan for a background check.
Due to the important work carried out by the security guards, they need to undergo an intense training program that provides them with necessary skills for their job. The training program, however, vary from state to state and also job type (armed or unarmed guard)
Armed guard training include
- Learn about how to handle a weapon, safety when using the weapons
- Learning when one is allowed to use a firearm
- Practice on firing range
- The trainees also are examined in this fields
A commissioned security officer can be defined as an officer in the army who holds a commission from the President of the United States
The main duty of a commissioned officer is to lead. The officer takes charge command those under him, both officers and enlisted personnel. Other duties include
- Training the officers
- Planning missions
- Organizing and managing both external and internal affairs of the enlisted personnel.
One needs to have a bachelor’s degree or higher from public university, private university or U.S. military service academy.
Before on become a commissioned officer, you are required to have the necessary skills such as leadership skills.
You may get Military training from ROTC (Reserve Officer Training Corps) programs that are on the campuses. The ROTC produces the greatest number of officers to the airforce and the army
Another way is by attending service academies where one is trained to be an officer for more than four years.
Some officers (not many) can be commissioned through programs such as Marine Corps Platoon Leaders Class (PLC).